Established in the year 1976 to evaluate development of children with special needs in the area of academics, learning, skills, psychosocial adjustment, interpersonal relationships, vocational aptitudes and health. More than 100 children are evaluated each year by a multi-disciplinary team of specialists consisting of a pediatrician, clinical psychologist, speech therapist, special educator, physiotherapist, occupational therapist and social worker. A comprehensive rehabilitation program is designed for each child.
The services at the Clinic Include:
- Psycho-diagnostic testing for evaluating mental, social, emotional and physical capabilities of the retarded.
- Parent Training Programmes.
- Orientation and dissemination of information of welfare schemes to parents and guardians of the mentally retarded.
- Monthly group discussions with parents to exchange notes and experiences.
- Discussion with teachers regarding educational goals and behaviour modification plans.
- Practical training facilities for trainee social workers.
- Early intervention services, including
- Parental Counselling for Therapeutic Intervention
- Environmental Sensory Stimulation Techniques for Children with Developmental Delay
- Home Training Programmes for Parents
- Audio Visual Stimulation through Educational Aids
- Activities for young children to encourage learning through play
- Counselling sessions for emotionally disturbed and children with behaviour problems.
The Clinic has recently been re- equipped to provide advanced Physiotherapy, Occupational & Electro therapy services & a Sensory Integration Unit
, which includes:
- Advanced Electrotherapy unit with- E.M.G Biofeedback, Interferential therapy, Ultrasound therapy, Shortwave diathermy, T.E.N.S, Electrical stimulation, Cryotherapy
- Sensory Integration unit: swings, trampoline, hammock, tunnel, massager etc.
- Effective hand function therapy – pegboard test, clay therapy, massage
- Assessment & training of activities of daily living & vocation.
- Cognitive and mental activities for learning disability
- Treatment available for: Stroke/Paralysis, Autism Spectrum Disorder (A.S.D), A.D.H.D, Cerebral Palsy, Parkinson, Rheumatoid Arthritis (R.A), Osteo-Arthritis (O.A.), Spinal cord injury (S.C.I), Post Traumatic stiffness, Other Neurological Orthopedic & Sports conditions
- Special services: Evaluation on international standardized scales like: Sensory Profile C.A.R.S -2(Childhood Autism Rating Scale-2) especially for Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (A.D.H.D), Autism Spectrum Disorder (A.S.D)
The Clinic is also equipped with an advanced Speech & Audiology Unit. The services include:
- Speech therapy for Articulation disorder, Fluency disorder, Voice disorder, Delayed speech & language development
- Language developmental programmer
- Instrumental therapy using speech trainer
- Hearing Screening with Pure Tone audiometer
- Auditory Training for hearing impaired
- Soundproof acoustic therapy rooms
Community awareness Outreach Programs is conducted in the form of CBR camps.
Assistance is provided in availing of social benefits, concessions & schemes offered by the Government - as Disability pension, Disability Certificate, Health Insurance, and Legal Guardianship etc.